This recipe for honey cake is a mixture of a Greek and a Turkish recipe. I have elaborated on the similarities of the cuisines previously.
You will need:
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed cardamom pods
- 1 cup chopped pistachios
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease and flour a 9 inch tin.
- Mix the flour, baking powder, salt, cinnamon and lemon zest. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, cream together the butter and 3/4 cup sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in the eggs one at a time. Beat in the flour, using the milk if it needs loosening. You want a thick but silky mixture. Stir in the nuts but leave a few for the topping.
- Pour mixture into the cake tin. Bake in the preheated oven for 40 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean. Allow to cool for 15 minutes.
- For the Honey Syrup: In a saucepan, gently simmer honey, lemon juice and water. Cook for 5 minutes.
- Pour honey syrup over the cake and sprinkle the remaining nuts on the top.
- This is delicious served with a dollop of thick yoghurt and ripe figs